Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Day is night and night is day


Trying to get Cory to be somewhat awake during the day and go to sleep at night has been a bit of a challenge. I'm bothering him all day long trying to make sure he knows it's day time and leaving him be at night. I heard that feeding him in the dark at night should help. Going to try that tonight (I just hope I don't trip!). I think I need to invest in a good night light that provides just a little bit of light.
We went to the doctor's today and he's starting to gain some weight back. He lost 14% of his body weight and is slowly creeping back up due to me supplementing my nursing. He's now up to 9 lb 5 oz (he got down to 8 lb 12 oz, from his birth weight of 10 lb 2 oz). The pediatrician suggested I try Fenugreek pills to see if that helps my milk production. I ordered some online and it should get here tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers that it works! I'd like to just breastfeed the little one if I can, but we'll do whatever is best for him. Has anyone ever had any luck with Fenugreek?

4 comments:

  1. I've never tried Fenugreek but heard it can work well. Lactation Station has all sorts of ideas. So did my lactation consultant for baby #2, ABC Lactation.

    Do you have a breast pump? I say stop all bottles and just nurse, nurse, nurse all the time. Then pump afterward, at least in the morning when you make more, to produce more (supply,demand). You can do it! It's best for your health and his health.

    I had a lot of pressure to supplement my boys when they were jaundiced, but had to tell everyone to leave me alone and let me focus on breastfeeding! I ended up nursing each for a year and loved it so much.

    It's definitely hard and I know you worry about him. But you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Brooke! Argh! Breastfeeding was the hardest part for me. It was just so frustrating! I had sister Cannon come over and help me a few times and she was awesome, but my problem was different I think. It is super disappointing if breastfeeding doesn't work, but at least we live in a time with some awesome formula! Good luck with everything and don't feel bad if it doesn't work out!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats you guys! Funny...that's exactly what Anthony looks like when sitting through a particularly boring lecture!

    Definitely keep your chin up on the breastfeeding. It's a great bonding experience and it doesn't hurt with getting the baby weight off either!!! Get a good pump. I love mine. I used it for both Lizzy and Nate. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Playtex-Embrace-Double-Automatic-Breastpump/dp/B000I2SGDI

    Good luck with everything! We should get together again after the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Brooke, He is so cute! I can't wait to see him this weekend. I am way excited that Clea will have somebody to play with.

    ReplyDelete