Saturday, November 20, 2010

One more week!

Is this how it will be?!?

Yesterday I went to the doctor's for my weekly visit. My doctor was surprised to see that I was now measuring at 41 weeks (I'm only 37 weeks along)! She was so concerned that the baby was growing so big, that she was able to sneak me into get an ultrasound at the hospital, even though they were booked out until December 7th. Thank you!

What came next was quite shocking! They measured the baby by ultrasound and found that he weighs approximately 11.1 lbs (plus or minus 1 lb)! That is enormous! He's been gaining about a pound a week these days.

Due to the generous size of this baby, a regular vaginal birth is out of the picture. I will be having a c-section next Friday (yes, black Friday). The reason they didn't want to immediately do a c-section was because they would have been required to do an amniocentesis test to make sure his lungs are fully developed. Since I have a negative blood type, they would rather avoid an amniocentesis test (because the risk of our blood mixing goes up). Rather than do that, they will just have me wait a week (they don't have to do the test at 38 weeks and can perform a c-section without issue). One more week!

At first I was kind of bummed that I couldn't deliver vaginally, but the more I think about it, the better I am with a c-section. It's much safer for both of us, plus now it's scheduled and I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

We are so excited!!! p.s.- he has hair; I got to see it in the ultrasound!

5 comments:

  1. Where in the world did you get the picture of the huge baby? Dad and I laughed so hard I almost wet myself!! This is going to be an exciting week!! How grateful we are that Cory and you are still doing fine! Can't wait for Friday, November the 26th!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH!!! That is crazy exciting! ON MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!! What a blessed day! Hahah. And at least you didn't go through all labor and pushed for 10 hours and then found out you had to have a c-section!! I WISH I WAS THERE! Do I write that statement everytime I write on your blog? Feels like it! I wish I was so I could help and see him and hug him! I come the 18th so schedule me in! xoxoxo Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe oh my gosh that picture is priceless! I can't wait for Friday! I love you guys:)
    Missy Moo

    ReplyDelete
  4. When do we get to see the real baby? This one had me startled for about 2 seconds. Hopefully everything went well.

    ReplyDelete